Friday, May 30, 2008

Whatever Pritzker.

Dear Pritzker:
I know you're fancy, and you have a lot of money, and you're really powerful, and the "Most Prestigious Prize in Architecture" (self-titled, by the way). I get that you're basically a lifetime achievement award, and you commend those who have "significant contributions to humanity". I understand that you have formed around yourself a club of the most famous and notable architects to grace the planet in the last 1/2 century, and to set the record stratight, I do admire Jean Nouvel. His work can be imaginative, creative, and surprising in ways not often seen. I also love Zaha Hadid, because she powerfully combines her mathmatical genius with her stunning artwork to create ideas that have changed the way many think of architecture. I also love myself a bull-headed cold-herated strong bitchy woman every now and again. Actually I like many of the architects chosen by you to carry your torch.

But Thom Mayne? Anyway, back to the point. My point is that you are so big and strong and powerful that you could change architecture through your choices. Instead you choose the architects who are almost household names, "starchitects" if you will. These are people who have branded themselves, so that they pump out projects one after the other in their signature image. I don't need to do any research to find out if a building is a "Ghery". Or a "Meier". You and your grandiose ways overshadow the small design firms who are searching for the real next thing in architecture. It's the small studios who really embody the ethics of the profession, and it is the small firms that are contributing to humanity. At this point the Daniel Liebeskinds of the world design outrageously large buildings at outrageous costs with no concern than their own bank accounts. You blot out the present and future by awarding established giants of the past two decades your award. It's really annoying.

All the smaller prizes get eaten up in your momentum. Maybe you could just buy yourself less press. I think everyone would rather hear more about the vastly different and edgy projects of the upcoming Biennale in Venice. I'm not exactly sure what you should change, but I know this: I am getting really tired of looking at Nouvel's shiny pate every single time I open up a design publication or site.

Thanks.

No comments: